The Ensign-Darling Vocal Fellowship
The Ensign-Darling Vocal Fellowship is a full scholarship vocal program for a small number of very talented and highly motivated young singers interested in classical and theatrical music and who will be entering tenth and eleventh grade (or twelfth grade for males) in the fall of 2019. Fellows will be required to commit to hour long voice lessons, vocal coaching and music skills tutoring sessions each week. Additionally, there are required weekend master classes and events held monthly at The Bushnell.
Applications are due Friday, April 12, 2019.
Auditions will be held Saturday, May 4, 2019 and Call-backs on Sunday, May 5, 2019 at The Bushnell.
• Applicants must be residents of the State of Connecticut or out of state students attending schools in Connecticut with easy access to The Bushnell.
• Female applicants must be entering the tenth or eleventh grade in the fall of 2019.
• Male applicants must be entering the tenth, eleventh, or twelfth grade in the fall of 2019.
• Please note that while we will certainly accept applications from males entering their senior year, ideally we would prefer a two-year program commitment.
• Applicants must be referred for the audition by a music professional (private voice or instrumental teacher, choral conductor at school or elsewhere, musical theater director, etc.).
How to Apply: Please note there are two ways to apply
1.) You may click HERE to download an Application or call 860-987-6042 for an application to be sent to you. Fill out the application, include all recommendations, signatures, required information, and enclosures and mail to The Bushnell, to be received by April 12, 2019.
If you have any troubles with the documents, please email email@example.com, who will email one to you.
A complete application must contain the following:
• Application Form completed in its entirety and/or a complete Resume.
• Signature Page with all 3 signatures.
• A photocopy of your birth certificate or passport for proof of age.
• 1 photograph of applicant, (professional headshots are not required).
• Under separate cover, a Letter(s) of Recommendation. Please see the directions below for the Letter of Recommendation.
Letter(s) of Recommendation:
The letter of recommendation must be from the person who referred the applicant (same as on the Signature page). A second supplemental letter from another music professional may be submitted if desired.
• The Letter(s) of Recommendation should include the following information: Applicant Name, Reference’s Name, Address and Phone Number, and relationship to Applicant. Detail your knowledge of the applicant and include specific reasons you believe he/she would benefit from the training offered. Please address musical, technical, and personal characteristics.
• If you are mailing in your application, the letter(s) must be on a on a separate sheet, sealed in an envelope, signed across the flap and included with your application packet.
• If you are filing your application on line, please ask your recommenders to email their letter separately to firstname.lastname@example.org. This email should include the applicant’s name in the subject line.
• Auditions will be held beginning at 8:30 a.m. at The Bushnell (166 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, CT), on Saturday, May 4, 2019. Callbacks will be held on Sunday, May 5, 2019.
• There are a limited number of audition timeslots available. Completed applications will be processed, and audition appointments will be scheduled, on a first come, first served basis. PLEASE NOTE: Meeting the application deadline of April 12 DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU AN AUDITION TIMESLOT.
• Applicants will be notified either of their scheduled appointment or if all timeslots have been filled.
• Applicants must prepare two pieces of music: one theatrical and one classical. One piece should be up tempo and the other a ballad. Classical music may include an Art Song, folksong arrangements, and spirituals. The applicant must have printed music. An accompanist will be provided, but the applicant may bring his/her own accompanist if desired. The use of recorded music is not allowed.
• Music must be memorized.
The Audition Panel will consist of the Artistic Director of the Vocal Fellowship program, music professionals who are members of the advisory board and invited guests. The decision of the Audition Panel is final. Numbers of Fellows selected and the ages of the Fellows selected are entirely at the discretion of the Panel. If a Panelist has taught or had other close professional or personal ties to the applicant, that Panelist will excuse himself or herself from the consideration of the applicant.
Program Director, EDVF
The Bushnell Center for the Performing Arts
166 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106-1621
Phone: 860-987-6042 Fax: 860-987-6070
A look into the Ensign-Darling concert
A scene from Falstaff, 2013
Ensign-Darling Graduates find Success
99% of all Ensign-Darling Vocal Fellows pursue a college education. Below are examples of some of the top colleges and universities in the country that fellows have attended.
Undergraduate Schools: Berklee College of Music; The Boston Conservatory; Bucknell University; Carnegie Mellon University; Central Connecticut State University; Emerson College; Hartt School of Music at University of Hartford; Marist College; Muhlenberg College; Naropa University; The New England Conservatory; New York University Steinhardt School; New York University Tisch School of the Arts; North Carolina School of the Arts; Northwestern University; Oberlin Conservatory of Music; Princeton University; Rider University; Sacred Heart University; Schulich School of Music at McGill University; Skidmore College; State University of New York, Fredonia; Wagner College; University of Connecticut; University of Rochester; University of Wisconsin-Madison; Yale University
Graduate Schools: Manhattan School of Music; Rice University, Shepherd School of Music; Washington University School of Law
BroadwayWorld Interviews: Sarah Primmer of CINDERELLA ON TOUR at Place Des Arts
CT Native Kenny Francoeur on tour with The Book of Mormon (at The Bushnell February 2017) as the show's dance captain and swing.
Emily Bautista will be part of the cast of the upcoming Broadway revival of MISS SAIGON